Copenhagen January 2011

Copenhagen January 2011
A cold November in Copenhagen...

Tuesday 22 February 2011

The blight of PMS

Well, at 7 days past the IUI I started getting sore and swollen boobs and the blighters have got worse and worse.  I'm already a big chested girl; now Jordan looks like an A cup next to me.  I've had cramps and a sort of heaviness in my abdomen, kind of like constipation, but different.   Not very scientific in explanation, I know.  I am not really sure why my unmedicated IUIs are bringing on such extreme PMS symptoms, and so soon.  I normally get mood swings about 7 days before I'm due my period, but sore and swollen breasts and cramps usually only 3-4 days before.  Now it seems that I am suffering for a whole 9-10 days!  Grim.  Still, I suppose it cuts down the two week wait to just one week.  I am feeling so irritable and down that I've taken half a day's leave this afternoon and come home. I must have seemed like a moody witch to my colleagues, who know nothing about what I'm doing.

So,  I'm snuggled on the sofa watching a truly rubbish DVD (The Boat That Rocked - utter trash), I feel swollen in every area and about as pregnant as an old man.  Ah well. Although I have been calmer this time and less obsessive, I took an early pregnancy test 10 days after the IUI to see if the weirdy cramps were a symptom of pregnancy.  I knew damn well they weren't, but I was ever hopeful.  It was, of course, negative.  I now wait for the dreaded flow which is another 4 long days away.  I feel disappointed and hugely irritated that I am swollen, whale like and sore with no reward to be gained at the end of it.

I'm sure everyone going through this experiences something similar.  You can drive yourself crazy.  I have read countless forums and experiences of other women and I don't know if it helps.  Sadly for me, a British woman doing this on my own finances (over 40 and single), I have no support from a gynaecologist or fertility expert to tell me if I'm wasting my cash.  All I have to go on is the tests my GP did for me.  I have an FSH of 7.5, 10 antral follicles, good clear ovaries and an endometrium that's as thin as it's allowed to get before it's pointless.  I am grumpy and feeling very sorry for myself today, wishing I'd not wasted my time in a long relationship that failed so late on in my biological clock, leaving me in this position past 40.

Oh well, spilt milk and all that stiff upper lip stuff.  Time to down another vat of Earl Grey tea.  I'm having March off to replenish my finances and do some acupuncture.  I think I need a month off so that I don't become absolutely deranged!   Here's hoping a few needles, Eastern thinking and some new clothes will make a difference for April.

4 comments:

  1. I love the comment "as pregnant as an old man", thats the way I felt when my first round didn't work. I have just completed round two and am ever hopeful. Has your clinic suggested taking fertility meds when you are back at it in April?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine. How has Round 2 been? Neither my GP nor the clinic overseas recommend meds for me to begin with as I ovulate so regularly and have good stats. Issues for me are just age in general e.g. the quality of eggs and the 'battered' endometrium. I will try meds on the last two shots I think, but getting them here via a GP will be very tricky indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Round 2 was great....until my period started this morning - argh! The doctor here tends to prescribe meds despite normal ovuation in order to assist with donor iui, partially to hurry it along due to cost. I have been prescribed Femera and start it on wednesday. They ensure that I won't end up with 8 babies because they monitor the follicles produced. I wish I could send some to you! This truly is a test of patience and strength eh? How has your month off been moving along?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine. Good luck with your medicated cycle! It's sadly just not a possibility here. The meds aren't given on the NHS to single women over 40 and to get them I'd need to pay a private gynae for both services and meds. We're talking hundreds of pounds on top of the IUI costs. However, statistics in Denmark show successful pregnancies for women on medicated and unmedicated cyles at my age are the same. Still, it would be nice to know I could try a couple of medicated cycles before I have to concede defeat. Hope you're bearing up.

    ReplyDelete